Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Depeche Mode - Somebody


Unlike most bloggers out there, I don't get all excited over live versions of things. It is very rare for me to prefer a live version over a studio in most cases (there are a few artists that are exceptions to this rule and I don't understand why they even bother making studio albums because the live is just so good...I'm talking to YOU, Dar Williams!).

One song that is an exception is Depeche Mode's "Somebody". This song is an amazing love song that just seems to "fit" so perfectly when you care for someone because it's just so real and not sugary sweet. There's just nothing nicer than someone telling you this is the song that reminds them of you. The live version seems much more heartfelt to me, and there are some notes he holds longer and in different ways that just makes it more special. I suppose there is also something to be said for the audience noise in it as well as you can feel their enthusiasm as well, either way, I love the live version, and though the studio version is nice, it will never beat out the live one as my favorite.

It's a beautiful song and has been covered numerous times by artists I like. In my last entry I spoke of Veruca Salt and Louise Post maintaining it after the other original members left. Well, this Louise Post version of Veruca Salt covered the song for a Depeche Mode tribute album called 'For the Masses'. It's nice, but Depeche Mode does it better (of course), but it's definitely nice to hear a female take on it.

Another cover of it I enjoy is by the Belgian girls choir, Scala. Scala does covers of many popular songs and transforms these rock songs into these amazingly beautiful chorus pieces. This is not one of my favorites by them, but they do an excellent job with it, regardless.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this song!!!
...but your links don't work right now FYI. hopefully its just a late night glitch.
Awesome blog ;)

3:34 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Ezarchive gets all schitzo sometimes and goes out, but they should work again soon enough I hope.

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home