Monday, August 21, 2006

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife


On October 3rd The Decemberists will be releasing their 4th LP entitled "The Crane Wife". The Decemberists are a band I am thoroughly impressed by and one of those fairly rare bands that I have enjoyed almost everything I have heard by. They are so creative and not really like much else in their theatrical/academic/historical style.

I have heard a leaked copy of the new album and I can't say it is impressing me as I had hoped it would. That's not to say it is not an impressive piece of musical works, but just that much of it does not have the Decemberist charm I did so enjoy. But for the most part it's still classic Decemberists goodness. The new album is a theme album, of sorts, with all songs based on a Japanese folk tale and bookended by songs clocking in over 12 minutes each. There are a few gems and they are quite enjoyable, but in general I don't feel the draw and the catchiness of past Decemberists music is there quite as much, but I think my mind could be changed with a few more listens. Afterall, the detail is key.

I've included a few of my favorite tracks from the new album below, as well as some links to older tracks for your listening pleasure!

From The Crane Wife:
Other Decemberists songs (all left-click):

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home