Friday, October 20, 2006

Kris Delmhorst


Kris Delmhorst makes some kickass folk/bluegrass music for a woman from the North East. I don't really recall how I found myself on her website, but I did a year or two ago. There I found a song called "East of the Mountains" and fell in love. The song is a modern classic in the bluegrass tradition. It reminds me very much of a mix between Dolly Parton and Gillian Welsh. A tale of a lovelorn girl who was denied the man she loved because of her family. It's got a fun little beat to it as well. It's not the only great song of hers though, the more I listened the more I liked. I'd say overall she reminds me more of someone like Dar Williams, though I enjoy her style and voice more than Dar's for the most part. I've not found any of her other tracks to be quite as perky in the beat department, but the lyrics are never lacking. Many of her songs that I may not have noticed much at first I will find stopping myself later and having to check who is singing because I am so impressed by the lyrics.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home