Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The who and the what now?

For a while the band name trend was anything that had "The" in front of it, but the new trend I am seeing is for bands, specifically ladies, to have their name followed by an object. The who, and then the what.

I've been surprised by just how many fantastic artists I've discovered lately with this name set. I'm currently working on a mix featuring only acts with these sorts of names, and so far it's coming together brilliantly. But I thought I'd share a sampling of a few of those fantastic artists with you here.

Marina and the Diamonds: Marina is a British singer who makes indie pop with an electronic touch. As much as I adore her music, I also sort of adore her personality. I encourage you to check out her blog and website and read her interesting and humorous posts. She interacts with her fans too, which is always a pleasant surprise. I adore the below track.

Florence and the Machine: Florence is perhaps the next big thing. She is also British, and raved about by the above artist. Her debut album "Lungs" recently was released in the UK (and digitally elsewhere) and arrives in the US in October. Everything I've heard from her so far is fantastic. My favorite track so far is the fiesty rock number below.

Elizabeth and the Catapult: A New York-based band that makes great folk-pop. Their recent release "Taller Children" has been impressing the critics and fans alike. I'm impressed. The title track from the album is lovely.

Gregory and the Hawk: Don't be confused, whereas the other bands I have listed were a lady's name and then a band name, Gregory and the Hawk are still fronted by a lady, but her name isn't Gregory, it's Meredith Godreau and a cast of her friends. She makes delicate, innocent sounding folk music that I find delicious.

Of course, these are just some favorites, there are so many more, but you get the idea. Enjoy!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home